- David Novak Workshop, 9 AM – Noon: “Massaging the Story & Exercising the Listener” presents David Novak’s approach to process performance for advanced storytelling artists. In phase one, Massaging the Story, Mr. Novak guides participants through exercises designed to challenge their thinking and interpretive skills when composing stories for performance. In phase two, Exercising the Listener, Mr. Novak guides participants in taking their work to performance with the intention on the listener’s experience. Throughout this master class participants will be given storytelling “etudes” and opportunities for “spot coaching” on varying elements of their stories and performance techniques. This master class is based on the following precepts:
1. The storyteller can learn about a story by subjecting the story to a variety of changes and interpretations.
2. The storyteller can use the process of story exploration for self-examination.
3. In performance, the storyteller must be concerned with the experience of the listener.
4. Stories are full of revelations.
5. In telling stories we use the dynamic of revelation in the story itself, and in the style of delivery.
- Brenda Wong Aoki Workshop, 1 – 3:30 PM: In “Finding Voice: Japanese Movement and Voice,” you will discover what speaks louder than words. Come in clothing you can move in, and experiment with movement, gesture, and tone of voice to uncover the best way to tell your story.
- Donald Davis Personal/Family Story Intensive Workshop, 9 AM – 3:30 PM. Bring your own story and the masterful teller of personal and family stories, Donald Davis, will help you polish it. Workshop limited to ten participants.
- Tea with the Tellers: 3:30-4:30 Garden Room courtyard.
Hosted by Diane Powell. Join the tellers in an elegant tea party in the Garden Room courtyard. We will try to seat one teller at each table. Space is limited, and tickets must be purchased by July 17.
Boxed lunches (catered by Panera) are also available for advance purchase, and must be purchased separately. Visit our Tickets page for pricing and details.
FRIDAY FREE PROGRAMS FOR DAYCAMPS, DAYCARES, CHILDREN’S GROUP, AND FAMILIES:
Programs are available at these times:
9:30-10:30; 11:15-12:15; 1:00-2:00; 2:30-3:30.
Participants will hear 15-minute tales from three of the following tellers: Olga Loya, Adam Booth, Brenda Wong Aoki, David Novak. The program will finish with a 10-minute garden tour.
Space is limited. To book your hour contact Kristine Dillinger at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 253-529-1620.
Saturday Schedule, July 23 2016
- 9:00 AM – Registration and Check-in
- 9:30 AM – Music with Adam Booth
- 10:00 – 11:00 AM
Woodland Tent: Return to Storyland, David Novak
Perennial Tent: Tales to Greet the Day!, Donald Davis / Adam Boot
Spring Garden Tent: First Morning Tales!, Brenda Wong Aoki / Olga Loya
- 11:15 – 12:15 PM
Woodland Tent: Brenda Wong Aoki
Perennial Tent: Quirky Tales, David Novak / Olga Loya
Spring Garden Tent: With an Appalachian Twist, Adam Booth / Donald Davis
- 12:15 – 1:15 PM – Lunch / Music with Adam Booth
- 1:15 – 2:15 PM
Woodland Tent: An Hour with Donald, Donald Davis
Perennial Tent: Heritage Tales, Olga Loya / Brenda Wong Aoki
Spring Garden Tent: The Truth of the Matter, David Novak / Adam Booth
- 2:30 – 3:30 PM
Woodland Tent: Ashton: A Coal Mining Saga, Adam Booth
Perennial Tent: Myth & Magic, David Novak / Brenda Wong Aoki
Spring Garden Tent: Our Past, Our Present, Donald Davis / Olga Loya
- 3:45 – 5:00 PM
Woodland Tent: Closing Olio, All Tellers
Perennial Tent: Closing Olio, All Tellers
Saturday Food Service
We will again be offering catered sandwiches, plus the ever-popular espresso stand. Click here for details.
Click here for details.